The best wet dog food products are sure to be on every pet lover's mind.
Did you know that there are more than 43.3 million households who count at least one furry best friend as a member?
That totals to 69.9 million dogs in American homes. What's more, in 2017, we spent more than $239.3 million buying wet dog food.
It makes sense since our dogs are like our children, but why exactly should we buy the best wet dog food
Wet Dog Food: Why Should You Buy It
Your dog's health starts with complete nutrition, which is what the best wet dog food products offer. Kibble is great for your dogs, but wet food may be more palatable for them.
Not only that, these products have a high moisture content, which helps keep your dogs hydrated. Wet dog food is often canned or packed per serving, to make it easier to feed your pups.
Best wet dog food: benefits
There are many benefits that your pet can get from eating the best wet dog food. For one, it is much easier to chew. For those dogs that have problems with their gums or teeth, these products are a godsend.
You may have heard that wet dog food can harm their teeth, but that is not true. Studies have shown that your dog will not have an increased risk of developing tooth decay when eating wet dog food as opposed to dry food.
The best wet dog food might even be healthier because it typically contains more protein than dry food. It also does not expire quickly. You can give Fifi real meaty treats such as lamb or chicken.
Is it better than dry food?
The short answer to this is: it depends.
The best wet dog food is more appetizing than kibble and has real meat instead of processed ones. These products also do not have preservatives, yet they last a long time before spoiling. They also have fewer carbohydrates content.
What's more, these products are ready to eat, with little or no preparation necessary. However, there are downsides. For one, you should only choose the very best wet dog food brands out there to ensure that you are giving your furry best friend clean and safe food.
They may also contain lower-quality meat by-products. Further, these products are more expensive than kibbles. Plus, if you are sensitive to smells, then some brands might turn you off.
There are times when dry dog food might be better. For one, these are cheaper, and you can easily store the food with no problem. If you need to feed your dogs, you only have to scoop some onto their bowls.
If you notice, dry dog food is more convenient for us humans. For instance, it's more suited to pack if we're traveling with our pets. And less heavy on the budget. But are these reasons enough to forego on the best wet dog food products out there, which we must point out, Brownie seems to like better?
How You Can Get the Be st Wet Dog Food
Choosing the best wet dog food means that you should know what is in it. It is an excellent habit to always check the label before you buy. The good news is that the Association of American Feed Control Officials limits the claims that a manufacturer can make about their products. For instance, if the manufacturer says that their main ingredient is beef, then their product should be 95 percent beef.
When reading the list of ingredients, you should also take note of the key nutrients that it provides. Further, you should look for the nutritional adequacy statement, which declares that the product is balanced and complete for any life stage. That statement helps you be more confident that you are giving your puppy, full-grown, or senior dog all the nutrition that they need.
Before deciding on which brand to buy, always run it by the vet first. Depending on the lifestyle, reproductive status, age, and genetics, your dog might have different needs. The vet can check on your dog and recommend what to buy and how much food you should give to your dog. They can even give dietary recommendations.
A word about grain-free diets
In July 2018, the Food and Drugs Administration said that they were investigating a possible connection between diet and heart disease in dogs. Many people mistook things and began warning others about how grain-free dog food causes canine dilated cardiomyopathy.
However, this is misleading. As it turns out, the FDA didn't say that grain-free dog food caused DCM, only a potential association between certain types of grain-free dog food and DCM. The cause is still unknown, but it does seem that giving your dog something that has a variety of ingredients will be safe. Some breeds of dogs may also be prone to developing DCM regardless of their diets.
If you want to be sure, do check with a licensed veterinarian before you make dietary changes for your furry best friend.
How We Chose the Best Wet Dog Food Products
To give you a list of recommendations for the best wet dog food products out there, we checked the dozens of listings on Amazon and chose the highly-rated products.
The Best Wet Dog Food You Can Buy in 2019
Image source: Unsplash
For those who love their pets, the good news is that the best wet dog food comes in a variety of flavors and formulations. You can choose one that is perfect for your dog's diet: organic, protein-rich, senior dogs, sensitive stomach, or weight maintenance.
1. Cesar Poultry Lover's Variety Pack Dog Food Trays
- Contains one (1) 36 count case of 3.5 oz. trays of CESAR Wet Dog Food Poultry Lover's Variety Pack Wet Dog Food: (6)...
- Crafted without grains and with US Chicken, US Turkey, or Duck as the no.1 ingredient
- CESAR Wet Dog Food is complete and balanced and fortified with vitamins and minerals to help dogs of all sizes,...
The Cesar Poultry Lover's Variety Pack brings together six different flavors that all together is enough for 36 meals. These flavors are turkey, duck, grilled chicken, rotisserie chicken with bacon and cheese, chicken and vegetable, and turkey, green beans, and potatoes.
The food is infused with minerals and vitamins and are ideal for small breeds of dogs. These packs are convenient as well; you can peel away the cover to give your dog a tasty treat. Or you can mix some kibbles in.
What they get is a tasty treat that gives them complete and balanced nutrition. The nutrient profiles in this dog food follow the recommendations of AAFCO.
2. Merrick Lil' Plates Small Breed Grain Free Mini Medley Pack Wet Dog Food
- Twelve (12) 3.5 oz Tubs - Merrick Lil'Plates Mini Medley Wet Dog Food Variety Pack
- Merrick Lil'Plates Mini Medley Wet Dog Food Variety Pack with 12 trays
- Real deboned beef, chicken or turkey is always the number 1 ingredient
The Merrick Lil' Plates Small Breed Grain Free Mini Medley Pack Wet Dog Food has three flavors in one set. You get four packs of Petite Pot Pie, Tiny Thanksgiving Day Dinner, and Itsy Bitsy Beef Stew. It has real beef, turkey, or chicken as its main ingredient.
Each pack has the right portion for small breeds. It uses a formula that does not use any grain and includes all the nutrients your pets need. With a high-protein main ingredient, your dogs will also get fruits and vegetables such as peas and apples.
The bite size is just perfect for small mouths, and the portions are just right for smaller stomachs. Each single serve pack weighs 3.5 ounces.
3. Pedigree Choice Cuts In Gravy Adult Wet Dog Food Variety Pack
- Contains Thirty-Six (36) 3.5 Oz. Pouches In Pedigree Choice Cuts In Gravy Wet Dog Food Variety Pack: (12) Grilled...
- Healthy dog food recipe made with real chicken or beef in gravy for an irresistible taste dogs will love
- PEDIGREE CHOICE CUTS adult wet dog food is 100% Complete & Balanced
The Pedigree Choice Cuts In Gravy Adult Wet Dog Food Variety Pack gives your pet three flavors of delicious meals: grilled chicken, beef noodles and vegetables, and chicken casserole. The company uses real beef and chicken meat as its main ingredients. Your dogs get a balanced and complete meal.
You can serve this as is straight out of the pouch, or you can mix it with kibbles. Each serving is good for one meal, and you do not even need scissors to open the easy tear container.
4. Blue Buffalo Divine Delights Natural Adult Small Breed Wet Dog Food Cups
- REAL BEEF FIRST: This grain free wet dog food features high-quality protein from real beef to promote healthy muscle...
- SINGLE SERVING MEALS: BLUE Delights small breed adult dog foods are perfectly portioned for smaller dogs making them...
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: All BLUE dog foods are made with the finest natural ingredients and enhanced with vitamins and...
If you have dogs who are allergic to chicken meat, then you would want to get the Blue Buffalo Divine Delights Natural Adult Small Breed Wet Dog Food Cups. This product does not use any chicken or poultry by-products. It does not contain wheat, soy, or corn. It also does not have preservatives and artificial flavors.
You get six packs of New York Strip and another six of filet mignon flavor with this 12-pack variety set. It contains all the nutrients, minerals, and vitamins that your dogs need because it is formulated to meet their needs according to their breed and life stage.
5. Rachael Ray Nutrish PEAK Natural Wet Dog Food
- Contains 18 - 3.5 Ounce Tubs of Wet Dog Food (3 Wetlands Recipe, 3 Wild Ridge Recipe, 3 Open Range Recipe)(Packaging May...
- Nutrient-dense recipes to satisfy your dog's instinctual cravings
- No meat or poultry by-products, artificial flavors, or preservatives
The Rachael Ray Nutrish PEAK Natural Wet Dog Food is packed with nutrients that can satisfy your pet's cravings. It has high-quality meats such as beef, duck, lamb, and chicken. It does not contain gluten, grains, and other filler ingredients.
Nutro Premium LOAF Adult Canned Wet Dog Food
- Contains twelve (12) 12.5 oz. cans of NUTRO PREMIUM LOAF Slow Cooked Chicken, Potato, Carrot & Pea Recipe Adult Canned...
- Farm-raised chicken is the first ingredient in this delicious canned wet dog food
- Grain free dog food that’s rich in nutrients and full of flavor for your adult dog
The Nutro Premium LOAF Adult Canned Wet Dog Food comes in four flavors: lamb, chicken, beef, and turkey. Aside from real meat, it is also fortified with minerals, vitamins, and nutrients. You are also assured of non-GMO ingredients.
Further, the manufacturer does not use corn, soy, or wheat in the mix. They also avoid artificial flavors, preservatives, and colors.
7. Solid Gold Green Cow Beef Tripe Natural Wet Canned Dog Food
- GREAT FOR PICKY EATERS: highly palatable formula packed with essential digestive probiotics. Leaving even the pickiest...
- MADE IN THE USA: Solid Gold green Cow is proudly manufactured in the United States with US sourced Beef tripe as the #1...
- HOLISTIC & GRAIN-FREE: nutrient-rich superfoods provide protein, vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. Free of...
If you have a dog who's a picky eater or has a sensitive stomach, you should consider buying the Solid Gold Green Cow Beef Tripe Natural Wet Canned Dog Food. This product is delicious for dogs, and it has probiotics that can help with digestion. Watch your picky eater ask for more of this!
8. Nature's Recipe Homestyle Ground Wet Dog Food
- 13.2 Ounce Can (Pack of 12) of Wet Dog Food
- Made with premium lamb, a protein source that is gentle on your dog's stomach
- With wholesome rice and barley, highly digestible source of carbohydrates for energy
Nature's Recipe Homestyle Ground Wet Dog Food contains real lamb meat, which is easily digestible. In short, this product is for pets with sensitive stomachs. It also has rice and barley, which are similarly easy to digest.
More than that, it does not contain ingredients that are hard to digest such as corn, beef, and wheat. The manufacturer also added peas and carrots, which are potent in antioxidants.
9. Royal Canin Canine Health Nutrition Mature 8+ in Gel Wet Dog Food
- Highly palatable for the older dog as their sense of smell can begin to decline
- Reduced phosphorous level* to help support kidney health. *As compared to Adult Beauty wet.
If you have older dogs, you might want to try Royal Canin Canine Health Nutrition Mature 8+ in Gel Wet Dog Food. This product has a lower phosphorus level that helps keep your dog's kidneys healthy. Also, your pet will find this very tasty and palatable. The stronger odor will help older dogs whose sense of smell has started to weaken.
10. Blue Freedom Grain Free Chicken Recipe for Senior Dogs
- REAL CHICKEN FIRST: This tasty wet dog food features high-quality protein from real chicken, plus complex carbohydrates...
- FEED THREE WAYS: Mix BLUE Freedom grain free wet food for senior dogs into your pal’s favorite dry food, sprinkle it...
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: All BLUE canned dog foods are made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and...
The Blue Freedom Grain Free Chicken Recipe for Senior Dogs only includes natural ingredients that give your dogs all the nutrients and protein they need. It contains chicken meat. It does not have soy, wheat, corn, or artificial components like flavors, colors, and preservatives.
Get the Best Wet Dog Food Today
What can you get your furry friends? Affordable, healthy, and yummy treats when you buy the best wet dog food. These products really do sound delicious. Turkey, chicken, beef, and other meats make you wish you were a dog so that you can see how these taste like.
What's more, there are different dog food products that you can buy. It's probably very easy to find the best dog food for your pets. You can choose from a variety of different flavors, in different packagings, and even other ingredients included.
Have you decided which of these products you would buy for your dogs? Tell us why down below.
Featured Image via Pixabay
Last update on 2021-09-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API