If you have a pitbull, you know every dog is unique. These active, determined dogs may get a bad reputation in the media, but pitbull owners know they can make for some of the best pets. Their determination makes them highly loyal companions and great for an active lifestyle. With proper guidance and nutrition, they can be ideal pets for any family. Keeping a pitbull healthy begins with proper nutrition, and the first step is to determine what makes the best dog food for pitbulls.
The best dog food for pitbulls will contain a lot of protein without fillers, which means it should have meat as the main ingredient. Many lower-grade dog foods use filler like grain or potatoes, and these might fill your dog up, but they won’t give them the nutrition they need. Here at Dog Food Life, we’ve put together a list of the best dog food for pitbulls. Read on and find the best dog food for pitbulls’ nutritional needs.
Best Dog Food for Pitbulls FAQ
All dogs are omnivores and require meat in their diets. Pitbulls are active breeds and benefit from a high-protein diet. Thus, the best dog food for pitbulls will be heavy on meat.
2. What Meats are Usually Found in the Best Dog Food for Pitbulls?
The most common meats in the best dog food for pitbulls are beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, salmon, and rarer meats like bison and venison.
3. What Nutritional Content Should Be in the Best Dog Food for Pitbulls?
The best dog food for pitbulls should contain a healthy amount of fiber to keep your dog regular. Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids also help stimulate fur growth and brain function.
4. Are There Dog Foods that Avoid Common Allergens for Dogs?
Several of the best dog foods for pitbulls contain unconventional proteins like bison or duck, which are not common allergens.
5. Where Can I Find the Best Dog Food for Pitbulls?
The ten best dog foods for pitbulls can be found on Amazon or at major pet food suppliers and retailers.
How We Reviewed
The best dog food for pitbulls were reviewed based on the following parameters – affordability, protein content, fiber and nutrient content, quality of ingredients, allergen-friendly ingredients, impact on the dog’s health, and brand reputation for quality.
What We Reviewed
- Bully Max High-Performance Super Premium Dog Food
- Taste Of The Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food High Prairie Adult
- Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food Original Turkey & Chicken
- AvoDerm Natural Health Solutions for Senior Health
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free
- Orijen 1 Original Dry Dog Food
- Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food
- CANIDAE Grain Free PURE Dry Dog Food
- Diamond Naturals Adult Large Breed Real Meat Recipe
- Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast
Bully Max High-Performance Super Premium Dog Food
Bully Max High Performance Super Premium Dog Food (15 lbs.)
- The ONLY 5 Star rated performance dog food. Rated by the world’s #1 online dog food review site.
- The ONLY Meat Based formula in its class. Unlike other brands which are plant based, Bully Max dog food uses real meat…
- MORE CALORIES than any other formula in its class (535 per cup). When you feed your dog Bully Max high performance dog…
The rare dog food designed especially for bully breeds, this high-protein dog food is the only meat-based formula in its class. It contains none of the most common fillers – no corn, wheat, or soy – and has more calories than any other formula in its class at 535.
This meal is ideal for helping your pet gain muscle; it has a 30 percent protein/20 percent fat formula for maximum nutrition. It is primarily made from chicken meal, brown rice, chicken fat, beet pulp, sorghum, pearled barley, yeast, fish meal, and egg product. It contains 3.8% of daily fiber and a healthy dose of gut-health probiotics.
- High in calories, protein, and healthy fat
- Free of common fillers and allergens like corn, wheat, and soy
- Designed exclusively for pitbulls and other bully breeds
- Uses chicken meal rather than whole chicken
- Contains plenty of grain filler
- Only 3.8% of daily fiber
A grain-free dog food filled with healthy meats, fruits, and vegetables, Taste of the Wild has a reputation as one of the best choices for dogs that need a high-protein diet. The main ingredients include buffalo, lamb meal, chicken meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, egg product, roasted bison, and roasted venison.
It is packed with nutrients including 4% of daily fiber, zinc, taurine, Omega-6, and Omega-3 fatty acids, and probiotic microorganisms. Its fruit and vegetable content adds antioxidants which lead to a healthier coat for your dog. If you want a high-quality meat-based dog food, this is one of the best options.
- Free of grain and filler
- Made of high-quality proteins
- Avoids most allergenic ingredients
- Loaded with nutrients, antioxidants, and probiotics
- Helps to create a shiny coat
- Not designed specifically for pitbulls
- Batches purchased online have gone bad
Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food Original Turkey & Chicken
Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Original Turkey &…
- ADVANCED NATURAL NUTRITION TO FUEL YOUR DOG’S BEST LIFE: Premium protein expertly balanced with nutrient rich superfoods…
- SAVORY FOOD DOGS LOVE: Wellness CORE is available in grain and grain free recipes, as well as limited ingredient diets…
- LEANER BODY MASS AND MUSCLE TONE: Wellness CORE dog food is made with a high concentration of protein from fresh meat…
A popular grain-free dog food, Wellness Core uses chicken, chicken meal, and turkey meal as its main ingredients and boasts a protein content of around 40%. Using only natural ingredients, it eschews fillers like corn, soy, wheat, and meat by-products and is free of artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. Its fat content is reasonably high but isn’t likely to cause weight gain, and its prebiotic content is ideal for digestive health.
- High protein content and low fat
- Made primarily from meat ingredients
- Free of grain fillers, artificial colors, and preservatives
- Athletic dogs might need more fat
- Goes moldy quicker than other brands
AvoDerm Natural Health Solutions for Senior Health
AvoDerm Natural Advanced Senior Health Dry Dog Food, Grain Free, Lamb…
- One (1) 24 Pound Bag: AvoDerm Natural Advanced Senior Health Grain Free Lamb Meal Dry Dog Food
- Supports Joint, Eye, And Brain Health: Natural Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine & DHA Helps Support Senior Dog’s Joints,…
- Promotes Healthy Skin & Coat: Premium Natural Dry Dog Food Made With Omega-Rich Avocados To Promote Healthy Skin, Coat,…
If you have a senior dog that you’re looking to help maintain an active lifestyle, AvoDerm specializes in dog food for aging dogs with special nutritional needs. Its top ingredients are lamb, chicken, and salmon meal and it is a grain-free formula, meaning protein is front and center.
At 28 percent protein and ten percent fat per serving, it delivers the nutritional punch your dog needs. It also contains avocados, which support skin health and a shiny coat. This food is made entirely from natural ingredients and free of fillers like corn, soy, and wheat. It has a high content of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants and is designed to be easy on sensitive stomachs.
- Specially designed for senior dogs
- High-quality meat-based formula free of fillers and preservatives
- High in nutrients and antioxidants
- Designed to be easy on sensitive stomachs
- Only comes in one larger bag size
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free
Sale Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Natural Adult Dry Dog…
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN: A recipe made to satisfy your dog’s natural love for meat, this high protein dog food…
- HEALTHY INGREDIENTS: BLUE Wilderness grain free dog food, made with healthy carbohydrates including sweet potatoes and…
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic…
Blue Buffalo is one of the longest-running names in organic dog food, and this high-protein grain-free brand is one of their most popular options. Made primarily from chicken, chicken meal, and peas, it’s free of most common allergenic fillers like soy, wheat, and corn. With a healthy blend of calcium, vitamins, and phosphorous for healthy bone growth, it’s ideal for both young and old pitbulls where encouraging bone growth is essential.
- Free of grains and fillers
- Pea protein is one of the healthiest vegetarian proteins
- Contains phosphorous for bone growth
- A trusted brand for healthy dog food
- Chicken can be an allergen
Orijen 1 Original Dry Dog Food
Orijen 1 Original Dry Dog Food 25 lb. Bag & 1 Original Dog Treat 3.25…
- 1 25 lb.Bag Dry Orijen Original Dog Food & 1 – 3.25 OZ bag of Orijen Original Dog Treats
- BIOLOGICALLY APPROPRIATE ALL LIFE STAGES FRESH FREE-RUN CHICKEN & TURKEY, WILD-CAUGHT FISH AND NEST-LAID EGGS FROM…
- FREEZE-DRYING THE GOLD STANDARD OF FOOD PRESERVATION ORIJEN freeze-dried treats are prepared without cooking, so they…
Made primarily from high-quality meats including chicken, turkey, wild-caught fish, and eggs for binding, this top-of-the-line dog food also includes a variety of fruits and vegetables including kale and berries that add nutrients and create a balanced combination.
Unlike many dog foods, 80% of the meat products in this formula are rated as fit for human consumption, so you can trust your dog is getting the best. Free of preservatives and unprocessed, this dog food has the right combo of fats and proteins.
- Freeze-drying technique preserves essential nutrients
- Primarily made from a variety of high-quality meats
- Comes with a bonus bag of dog treats
- Only comes in a large bag
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets Dry Dog Food
If your dog has common allergies, it can be very hard to find a dog food that meets their nutritional needs while keeping them safe from an allergic reaction. Natural Balance specializes in customized formulas, and this blend is made primarily from fish and sweet potatoes – neither of which is a common allergen and both of which contain a healthy dose of nutrients.
A low-fat formula ideal for dogs trying to lose weight, this dog food has a protein content of twenty-one percent. That makes it ideal for any dog with kidney problems. The formula has high DHA levels and vitamin/mineral content.
- Free of all common allergens
- Short ingredient list centers two healthy primary ingredients
- High in DHAs and vitamins
- Ideal for overweight dogs or dogs with kidney problems
- Lower protein content than other brands
CANIDAE Grain Free PURE Dry Dog Food
The CANIDAE brand is known for its short list of ingredients, with only eight components – fresh salmon, salmon meal, menhaden fish meal, sweet potatoes, peas, canola oil, alfalfa, and potatoes plus a blend of natural flavors, vitamins, minerals, and probiotics.
There’s nothing better than knowing exactly what you’re feeding your loyal companion, and this brand gives you peace of mind. It has been proven to aid in digestion and is loaded with healthy Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids.
- A short ingredient list of natural ingredients
- Primarily made from high-quality salmon
- Contains no common allergens
- Filled with nutrients and antioxidants
- One of the more expensive dog foods on the list
Diamond Naturals Adult Large Breed Real Meat Recipe
DIAMOND NATURALS Dry Food for Adult Dogs, Large Breed 60+ Chicken…
- High quality protein made with real CAGE FREE chicken; tailored for a large breed dog with optimal amino acid profile…
- Premium ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; superfoods for hard-working antioxidants; fatty acids for skin &…
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY digestible with PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS that survive and thrive in the GI tract; at levels
If you’re looking for a healthy dog food option that won’t break the bank, Diamond Naturals specializes in low-cost food made from high-quality ingredients. Primarily made from chicken, chicken meal, brown and white rice, pearled barley, beet pulp, and egg product, the food is supplemented with healthy compounds like glucosamine and chondroitin. Designed for senior pets, it’s made entirely from natural ingredients and enriched with vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals.
- Free of corn, soy, and wheat
- Uses all natural ingredients
- Contains added nutrients for senior dogs
- Enhanced with vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals
- Chicken is a common allergen
Grain-free and gluten-free, this high-quality dog food uses lean red meat bison as its main ingredient and has one of the highest protein contents on the list at thirty-four percent. Filling itself out with fruits and vegetables like peas, blueberries, cranberries, spinach, and apple, it’s free of fillers and packed with Vitamin C and E. The presence of L-carnitine helps to convert fat to muscle mass and energy, which is great for pitbulls trying to get stronger.
- Free of common allergens and uses bison as its main ingredient
- L-carnitine is ideal for pitbulls building muscle mass
- Loaded with antioxidants and nutrients
- Free of artificial ingredients and fillers
- Not commonly found in pet stores
All ten options for the best dog food for pitbulls on this list are high-quality products with ingredients far above the level of most common dog food brands. However, one stands out above the rest. Made from high-quality red meat and filled out with healthy fruits and vegetables, and boasting L-carnitine to help pitbulls build muscle, we give our endorsement to Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast as the best dog food for pitbulls on the market today.