Having a dog is one of the most rewarding things in life. They create love, companionship, and joy in the lives of people all across the globe. Dogs put their full trust in us, and it is our job to care for and love them just as much as they love us. To do that, it is important to care for their happiness along with their wellbeing. If you want to ensure your dog is healthy and happy all day long, check out our picks of the best dental chews for dogs.
Best Dental Chews for Dogs FAQ
Dental chews are small treats that work to help your dog maintain a healthy mouth. There are typically raised edges that work to brush your dog’s teeth and help their gums.
2. What Can They Do for Your Dog’s Health?
As the name may suggest, the best dental chews for dogs help to maintain your dog’s dental health. This includes both teeth and gums, and the treats themselves will also have nutritional value. The ridges on the treats act in the same way a toothbrush would to really get in and reduce plaque buildup on your dog’s teeth. Some of them can even freshen canine breath when used continuously.
3. Why Should You Buy the Best Dental Chews for Dogs?
On a basic level, giving your dog treats helps to reward them for good behavior. Positive reinforcement is a powerful tool, especially while training. It encourages them to continue to do good things so that they can continue to get the treats they enjoy. Plus, it helps to create a bond between you and them, as they will see you as someone who is kind, generous, and willing to give them things they enjoy.
The best dental chews for dogs give them all that plus the added benefit of oral hygiene. This way, you can make sure your dog is keeping their mouth clean and fresh, while also encouraging them with treats they can enjoy. Many dogs may not like or sit well for you to brush their teeth every day, and these dental chews act as a great substitute.
4. Where Can You Buy the Best Dental Chews for Dogs?
You can buy dental chews at a number of local pet stores or online. The best dental chews for dogs, the ones featured here, can all be found on Amazon.
How We Reviewed
To make sure we got an accurate review of the best dental chews for dogs, we spent a significant amount of time compiling a list of brands. Once we had this list, we went over the features, and pros and cons for each brand in order to determine how beneficial each would be compared to the last. We then reviewed the entire list and came up with a final verdict on the best dental chews for dogs.
What We Reviewed
- Milk Bone Brushing Chews
- Zuke’S Z-Bones Clean Berry Crisp Regular Dental Chew Dog Treats
- Oravet Merial Dental Hygiene Chew for Dogs
- Blue Buffalo Blue Regular Bones Dental Chews
- Dingo Tartar And Breath Chicken Dental Sticks For All Dogs
- Greenies Fresh Petite Dental Dog Treats
- Purina Dentalife Daily Oral Care Small/Medium Adult Dog Treats
- Herbsmith 30 Count 6.27 Oz. Dog Breath Formula
- Pedigree Dentastix Dental Treats for Dogs
- Nylabone Power Chew DuraChew Double Bone Bacon Dog Chew Toy
Sale Milk Bone Brushing Chew Small/Medium (31.4 OZ)
- 31.4 oz box; for dogs 25 – 49 lbs; 63 calories per bone
- 16 essential vitamins and minerals, including calcium for strong bones and teeth
- Tastes like a treat, cleans like a toothbrush; easy solution for daily oral care, clinically proven as effective as…
The Milk Bone Brushing Chews are a great choice for those with small or medium dogs. These treats provide the classic Milk Bone flavor with ridges specifically designed to get in and remove tartar from your dog’s teeth. They are made in America, taste great, and include a number of essential vitamins.
- Comes in a 31-ounce box
- Includes calcium and 15 other essential vitamins
- Cleans as effectively as brushing
- Produced in America
- May not be as resealable as described
- Designed more so for small to medium dogs
Zuke’s Z-Bones Clean Berry Crisp Regular Dental Chew Dog Treats
The Zuke’s Z-Bones Clean Berry Crisp Regular Dental Chew Dog Treats are full of whole foods. This treat has a potato base and is full of cherries, cranberries, and peas. The treat itself is designed to scrape and brush your dog’s teeth while also supporting healthy gums.
- Helps to scrape teeth and support healthy gums
- Made with whole foods
- Can freshen your dog’s breath
- No artificial flavors or ingredients
- Currently unavailable on Amazo
- Designed for larger dogs (25 to 60 pounds)
Oravet Merial Dental Hygiene Chew for Dogs
OraVet Dental Hygiene Chews Small 10-24lbs (30 Count)
- DENTAL CHEWS FOR COMPLETE DOG ORAL HEALTH: OraVet Dental Hygiene Chew should be given as directed by your veterinarian…
- FRESH BREATH FOR YOUR DOG: Always monitor your dog until the Oravet chew is fully consumed. Chews are intended for dogs…
- NEW PACKAGING – Item may ship with varied packaging
The Oravet Merial Dental Hygiene Chew for Dogs is a bit more expensive than some of the other best dental chews for dogs, but it is highly regarded by veterinarians. This treat can provide full oral health treatment in the prevention of bacteria, calculus, and halitosis. They are also able to freshen your dog’s breath and provide a tasty snack.
- Comes with 30 dental chews in a package
- Will freshen your dog’s breath
- Prevents bacterial attachment in your dog’s mouth
- Can reduce plaque and calculus build up
- Can reduce halitosis at its main source
- Quite expensive compared to other dental chews
- Only designed for dogs six months and older
Blue Buffalo Blue Regular Bones Dental Chews
The Blue Buffalo Blue Regular Bones Dental Chews are another great choice for dogs of any size. They are designed to both maintain proper oral health and keep their breath fresh and clean. The treats themselves are easily digestible and include a bunch of important vitamins that are designed to support their immune system.
- Comes with two packs of 12
- Helps to clean teeth and maintain gum health
- Can freshen your dog’s breath
- Easily digestible
- Includes a number of important vitamins to support the immune system
- Slighting more expensive than other dental chews
- Some dogs do not find the taste very appealing
Dingo Tartar And Breath Chicken Dental Sticks For All Dogs
Dingo Tartar And Breath Dental Sticks For All Dogs, 48-Count
- Dental Sticks Offer The Same Great Taste As The Original Dingo Munchy Stix With Added Freshness Of Baking Soda And…
- The Irresistible Flavor Of Real Chicken Inside Each Stick Gives Your Dog A Delicious Treat, While The Chewing Action…
- Teeth Cleaning Dental Sticks With Real Chicken In The Middle
The Dingo Tartar and Breath Chicken Dental Sticks for All Dogs really give your dog both what they want and what they need. The sticks have real chicken baked into the center, providing your dog with a tasty treat. While they chew, the treat then brushes their teeth and can massage their gums to give them a healthy and fresh mouth.
- Comes with 48 in a pack
- Made with real chicken
- Helps to brush their teeth through their natural chewing
- Can massage gums to keep them healthy and their mouth smelling clean
- Comes in multiple sized packages
- Not made in America
- Does not sit well with all dog’s digestive systems
Greenies Fresh Petite Dental Dog Treats
Sale GREENIES Large Natural Dog Dental Care Chews Oral Health Dog Treats…
- Contains one (1) 12 oz. 20-count pack of GREENIES Petite Natural Dental Dog Treats Fresh Flavor; Natural Dog Treats Plus…
- The unique texture of GREENIES Dog Chews cleans down to the gumline to fight plaque and tartar and freshen bad dog…
- GREENIES Treats for Dogs are veterinarian recommended and accepted by the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC)
The Greenies Fresh Petite Dental Dog Treats are a terrific choice for any dog. This specific treat is designed for dogs from 15 to 25 pounds, but the Greenies brand does sell varying sizes for all dog breeds. The treats, designed to look like toothbrushes, are able to help fight against both tartar and plaque. They are easy to digest, can freshen your dog’s breath, and are accepted by the Veterinary Oral Health Council.
- Comes with 20 treats in a bag
- The texture helps to fight tartar and plaque
- Can freshen your dog’s breath
- Accepted by the Veterinary Oral Health Council
- Easy to digest
- Meant for dogs 15 to 25 pounds
- Treats are quite hard and will require some chewing
Purina Dentalife Daily Oral Care Small/Medium Adult Dog Treats
The Purina Dentalife Daily Oral Care Small/Medium Adult Dog Treats are a great way to give your dog an easy-to-eat treat that will protect their mouth. This treat is chicken flavored and chewy, but not hard. It can help clean hard-to-reach teeth.
- Comes with 40 treats in a package
- Has a chicken flavor
- Can both clean their teeth and freshen their breath
- Designed for small to medium dogs
- Does not have an incredible flavor that dogs go crazy for
Herbsmith 30 Count 6.27 Oz. Dog Breath Formula
Sale Herbsmith Dog Breath – Dental Chews for Small Dogs – Small Dog…
- THE EASIEST WAY TO FRESHEN BREATH – When you’re greeted with a cold nose every morning you also know that doggie…
- SIMPLE, NATURAL INGREDIENTS – Our good breath dog treats use all-natural ingredients to battle bad breath and…
- SKIP THE DAILY BRUSH – These dog breath freshener treats can complement a daily dental routine or be used as a quick fix…
The Herbsmith 30 Count 6.27 OZ. Dog Breath Formula works to prevent your dog from developing halitosis. Each bag comes with 30 treats, all of which are designed with small dogs in mind. The treats themselves are designed to help keep your dog’s teeth bright and white, and their breath minty fresh.
- Comes with 30 treats
- Can prevent halitosis
- Help to give your dog minty fresh breath
- Designed for smaller dogs
- Slightly more expensive than other dental chews
Pedigree Dentastix Dental Treats for Dogs
Sale PEDIGREE DENTASTIX Large Dog Dental Treats Original Flavor Dental…
- Contains one (1) 1.72 lb. 32-count pack of Pedigree dentastix Original Flavor Treats for Large Dogs
- PEDIGREE DENTASTIX: Triple Action acts as a dog breath freshener that works to clean teeth and freshen breath, and has a…
- Our dental treat sticks have a unique X-shape design and are specially designed for adult large breed dogs, weighing…
The Pedigree Dentastix Dental Treats for Dogs are a classic in terms of dental chews. These treats have been around for quite some time and have continuously proven to improve dogs’ oral health. They have a great chicken flavor that dogs love.
- Comes with 32 treats in a package
- Can freshen your dog’s breat
- Has a chicken flavor
- Designed for large dogs (weighing more than 30 pounds)
- The treats can go stale, making them hard to separate
Nylabone Power Chew DuraChew Double Bone Bacon Dog Chew Toy
Nylabone DuraChew Double Bone – Bacon – Wolf, Red (NBB503P)
- Long lasting chew toy challenges even the most aggressive chewers and discourages destructive chewing
- Tough, durable nylon chewing ends keeps powerful chewers busy
- Bristles raised during chewing help clean teeth and control plaque and tartar
Unlike the other dental chews on this list, the Nylabone Power Chew DuraChew Double Bone Bacon Dog Chew Toy is not actually edible. This toy is infused with a bacon flavor to entice your dog to chew while the textured edges work to clean their teeth and reduce plaque buildup. It is quite fun and can clean your dog’s teeth time and time again.
- Comes in multiple sizes
- Bacon flavored
- Not edible
- Dog will only get their teeth cleaned when they feel like playing, not when you give them a treat
With so many types of dental chews on the market, it can be difficult to determine which treats are right for your dog. It is important to consider your dog’s size, age, taste preference, and your budget before purchasing any of these treats. Our overall pick of the best dental chews for dogs is the Greenies Fresh Petite Dental Dog Treats. These treats can be found in multiple size variations for any type of dog, are easy for your pet to digest, and are accepted by the Veterinary Oral Health Council.