If you have a pitbull, you know every dog is unique. These active, determined dogs may get a bad reputation in the media, but pitbull owners know they can make for some of the best pets. Their determination makes them highly loyal companions and great for an active lifestyle. With proper guidance and nutrition, they can be ideal pets for any family. Keeping a pitbull healthy begins with proper nutrition, and the first step is to determine what makes the best dog food for pitbulls.
The best dog food for pitbulls will contain a lot of protein without fillers, which means it should have meat as the main ingredient. Many lower-grade dog foods use filler like grain or potatoes, and these might fill your dog up, but they won't give them the nutrition they need. Here at Dog Food Life, we've put together a list of the best dog food for pitbulls. Read on and find the best dog food for pitbulls' nutritional needs.
Best Dog Food for Pitbulls FAQ
1. How Do Pitbulls' Nutritional Needs Differ from Those of Other Dogs?
All dogs are omnivores and require meat in their diets. Pitbulls are active breeds and benefit from a high-protein diet. Thus, the best dog food for pitbulls will be heavy on meat.
2. What Meats are Usually Found in the Best Dog Food for Pitbulls?
The most common meats in the best dog food for pitbulls are beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, salmon, and rarer meats like bison and venison.
3. What Nutritional Content Should Be in the Best Dog Food for Pitbulls?
The best dog food for pitbulls should contain a healthy amount of fiber to keep your dog regular. Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids also help stimulate fur growth and brain function.
4. Are There Dog Foods that Avoid Common Allergens for Dogs?
Several of the best dog foods for pitbulls contain unconventional proteins like bison or duck, which are not common allergens.
5. Where Can I Find the Best Dog Food for Pitbulls?
The ten best dog foods for pitbulls can be found on Amazon or at major pet food suppliers and retailers.
How We Reviewed
The best dog food for pitbulls were reviewed based on the following parameters - affordability, protein content, fiber and nutrient content, quality of ingredients, allergen-friendly ingredients, impact on the dog's health, and brand reputation for quality.
What We Reviewed
- The ONLY 5 Star rated performance dog food. Rated by the world's #1 online dog food review site.
- The ONLY Meat Based formula in its class. Unlike other brands which are plant based, Bully Max dog food uses real meat...
- MORE CALORIES than any other formula in its class (535 per cup). When you feed your dog Bully Max high performance dog...
The rare dog food designed especially for bully breeds, this high-protein dog food is the only meat-based formula in its class. It contains none of the most common fillers - no corn, wheat, or soy - and has more calories than any other formula in its class at 535.
This meal is ideal for helping your pet gain muscle; it has a 30 percent protein/20 percent fat formula for maximum nutrition. It is primarily made from chicken meal, brown rice, chicken fat, beet pulp, sorghum, pearled barley, yeast, fish meal, and egg product. It contains 3.8% of daily fiber and a healthy dose of gut-health probiotics.
- A taste of the wild with ROASTED BISON; REAL MEAT is the #1 ingredient; optimal amino acid profile, protein rich for...
- High protein ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; fruits and vegetables as SUPERFOODS for hard-working...
- Ingredients from TRUSTED, SUSTAINABLE sources around the world; made with NO GRAIN, corn, wheat, filler; no artificial...
A grain-free dog food filled with healthy meats, fruits, and vegetables, Taste of the Wild has a reputation as one of the best choices for dogs that need a high-protein diet. The main ingredients include buffalo, lamb meal, chicken meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, egg product, roasted bison, and roasted venison.
It is packed with nutrients including 4% of daily fiber, zinc, taurine, Omega-6, and Omega-3 fatty acids, and probiotic microorganisms. Its fruit and vegetable content adds antioxidants which lead to a healthier coat for your dog. If you want a high-quality meat-based dog food, this is one of the best options.
- ADVANCED NATURAL NUTRITION TO FUEL YOUR DOG'S BEST LIFE: Premium protein expertly balanced with nutrient rich superfoods...
- SAVORY FOOD DOGS LOVE: Wellness CORE is available in grain and grain free recipes, as well as limited ingredient diets...
- LEANER BODY MASS AND MUSCLE TONE: Wellness CORE dog food is made with a high concentration of protein from fresh meat...
A popular grain-free dog food, Wellness Core uses chicken, chicken meal, and turkey meal as its main ingredients and boasts a protein content of around 40%. Using only natural ingredients, it eschews fillers like corn, soy, wheat, and meat by-products and is free of artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. Its fat content is reasonably high but isn't likely to cause weight gain, and its prebiotic content is ideal for digestive health.
- One (1) 24 Pound Bag: AvoDerm Natural Advanced Senior Health Grain Free Lamb Meal Dry Dog Food
- Supports Joint, Eye, And Brain Health: Natural Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine & DHA Helps Support Senior Dog's Joints,...
- Promotes Healthy Skin & Coat: Premium Natural Dry Dog Food Made With Omega-Rich Avocados To Promote Healthy Skin, Coat,...
If you have a senior dog that you're looking to help maintain an active lifestyle, AvoDerm specializes in dog food for aging dogs with special nutritional needs. Its top ingredients are lamb, chicken, and salmon meal and it is a grain-free formula, meaning protein is front and center.
At 28 percent protein and ten percent fat per serving, it delivers the nutritional punch your dog needs. It also contains avocados, which support skin health and a shiny coat. This food is made entirely from natural ingredients and free of fillers like corn, soy, and wheat. It has a high content of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants and is designed to be easy on sensitive stomachs.
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN: A recipe made to satisfy your dog's natural love for meat this high protein dog food features...
- GRAIN FREE DOG FOOD: BLUE Wilderness grain free adult dog food is made with healthy carbohydrates including sweet...
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE's exclusive LifeSource Bits , a precise blend of antioxidants vitamins...
Blue Buffalo is one of the longest-running names in organic dog food, and this high-protein grain-free brand is one of their most popular options. Made primarily from chicken, chicken meal, and peas, it's free of most common allergenic fillers like soy, wheat, and corn. With a healthy blend of calcium, vitamins, and phosphorous for healthy bone growth, it's ideal for both young and old pitbulls where encouraging bone growth is essential.
- 1 25 lb.Bag Dry Orijen Original Dog Food & 1 - 3.25 OZ bag of Orijen Original Dog Treats
- BIOLOGICALLY APPROPRIATE ALL LIFE STAGES FRESH FREE-RUN CHICKEN & TURKEY, WILD-CAUGHT FISH AND NEST-LAID EGGS FROM...
- FREEZE-DRYING THE GOLD STANDARD OF FOOD PRESERVATION ORIJEN freeze-dried treats are prepared without cooking, so they...
Made primarily from high-quality meats including chicken, turkey, wild-caught fish, and eggs for binding, this top-of-the-line dog food also includes a variety of fruits and vegetables including kale and berries that add nutrients and create a balanced combination.
Unlike many dog foods, 80% of the meat products in this formula are rated as fit for human consumption, so you can trust your dog is getting the best. Free of preservatives and unprocessed, this dog food has the right combo of fats and proteins.
- Contains (1) 26 pound bag of dry dog food
- Grain-free, limited ingredient diet with a single animal protein source
- Helps minimize the number of ingredients dogs are exposed to
If your dog has common allergies, it can be very hard to find a dog food that meets their nutritional needs while keeping them safe from an allergic reaction. Natural Balance specializes in customized formulas, and this blend is made primarily from fish and sweet potatoes - neither of which is a common allergen and both of which contain a healthy dose of nutrients.
A low-fat formula ideal for dogs trying to lose weight, this dog food has a protein content of twenty-one percent. That makes it ideal for any dog with kidney problems. The formula has high DHA levels and vitamin/mineral content.
- Limited ingredient dog food filled with ingredients you recognize
- 10 Key ingredients or less
- Packed with the goodness of premium, clean proteins
The CANIDAE brand is known for its short list of ingredients, with only eight components - fresh salmon, salmon meal, menhaden fish meal, sweet potatoes, peas, canola oil, alfalfa, and potatoes plus a blend of natural flavors, vitamins, minerals, and probiotics.
There's nothing better than knowing exactly what you're feeding your loyal companion, and this brand gives you peace of mind. It has been proven to aid in digestion and is loaded with healthy Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids.
- High quality protein made with real CAGE FREE chicken; tailored for a large breed dog with optimal amino acid profile...
- Premium ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; superfoods for hard-working antioxidants; fatty acids for skin &...
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY digestible with PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS that survive and thrive in the GI tract; at levels
If you're looking for a healthy dog food option that won't break the bank, Diamond Naturals specializes in low-cost food made from high-quality ingredients. Primarily made from chicken, chicken meal, brown and white rice, pearled barley, beet pulp, and egg product, the food is supplemented with healthy compounds like glucosamine and chondroitin. Designed for senior pets, it's made entirely from natural ingredients and enriched with vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals.
- Formulated without grain, gluten or potatoes, this special formula is ideal as a high-protein, grain-free alternative...
- Lean, red meat proteins, like bison meal and beef meal, are highly digestible and rich in balanced amino acids.
- Antioxidant-rich vegetables and fruits, such as peas, blueberries, cranberries, apples, carrots and spinach are...
Grain-free and gluten-free, this high-quality dog food uses lean red meat bison as its main ingredient and has one of the highest protein contents on the list at thirty-four percent. Filling itself out with fruits and vegetables like peas, blueberries, cranberries, spinach, and apple, it's free of fillers and packed with Vitamin C and E. The presence of L-carnitine helps to convert fat to muscle mass and energy, which is great for pitbulls trying to get stronger.
All ten options for the best dog food for pitbulls on this list are high-quality products with ingredients far above the level of most common dog food brands. However, one stands out above the rest. Made from high-quality red meat and filled out with healthy fruits and vegetables, and boasting L-carnitine to help pitbulls build muscle, we give our endorsement to Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast as the best dog food for pitbulls on the market today.
Last update on 2021-01-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API